Thursday 14 April 2011

103/365 New favourite word....

Today I have found a new favourite word.

For many years growing up it was 'Shelfanger', the name of a village in Norfolk which we used to drive through on the way to Band practise on Tuesday evenings. (At least, I think it was Tuesday evenings, I'm getting older and these memories get blurry!). It was usually dark when we drove through so I don't really know if it was an attractive place, but the name alone convinced me that one day I was going to live there....still time I suppose!

Last year, it was 'Granfalloon', which appears in Kurt Vonnegut's novel Cat's Cradle, and is defined as 'a proud and meaningless association of human beings'. He gives examples as "the Communist Party, the Daughters of the American Revolution, the General Electric Company —and any nation, anytime, anywhere." I love the idea in the book, but again mostly just like saying the word.....

Today it has been usurped though, by a word in a book Paul has been devouring. Depending on your own experiences you may or may not have come across it before, but I'm not going to define it for you. Feel free to invent your own meaning...



NB. It is gratifying to note that all three of these words are not recognized by the spellchecker.

No comments:

Post a Comment